Saturday, April 8, 2017

I have finished reading Sharad Pawars's "On My Terms From The Grass Roots To The Corridors Of Power"   My old boss and a close personal friend and colleague Sudhir Chaturvedi, ex- CMD Powergrid, suggested me to read this book. I must honestly admit that it is an excellent, rich, insightful and remarkably frank memoir by one of the India's most experienced and influential political leaders and a valuable document of the country's recent history.
   Pawar is one of the key public figures, and in his 50 years of political carrier he has never lost any election. Honestly speaking, before reading this book, I had no such high regard for him as I was of the impression that he is a great manipulator. Other wise how could he become CM of Maharashtra 4 times? But after reading his memoir I feel by his sheer hardwork and intellectual abilities he could become CM 4 times and a successful Union Defence and Agriculture Minister. As an eye witness at the highest levels to Union of India and Maha 

rashtra 's history since 1960s . You will find his reflections on coalition politics, the Congress party and its state of affairs, and the position of Agriculture, and Industry in the country. You will also find rare and sensitive information about many crises, topics on Emergency, it's impact on national and regional politics, fall of Chandrasekhar Govt, in1991. ,Signing of Punjab Accord, BabriMasjid Demolition,vis -a-vis the role of PV NarasimhaRao,1993 Mumbai blasts, Latur Earthquake. He has also touched on Enron power Project Controversy, Sonia's decision to give up PM's post. All this contemporary political topics makes it a very interesting read.
I'm happy to read lot of fascinating assessments of great Indian leaders like Indira, Rajiv, YB Chavan, Morarji Desai, Vajpayee, Chandrasekhar, PV Narasimha Rao, George Fernandes and Bal Thackrey etc. I would recommend this book to anyone with interest in politics.