Tuesday, April 25, 2017

It is a happy occasion that tomorrow Our Great Osmania University is celebrating its centenary after having completed 100 years. The celebrations are from 26/4/17 for three days, and will be observed throughout the year. I have done my graduation from Osmania, in 70s and still recollect those days, we have lost one academic year because of Telangana Agitation. It is a place known for agitations besides, excellence in academia. When I wanted to do my PG in the University, my father took me to the residence Late PV Narasimha Rao, in Hyderguda, near Urdu Hall, his son Ranga Rao was there, and  he was member of Syndicate  of Osmania University, those days, when my father told him about my requirement, he gave me his visiting card and asked me to meet Dr Mutalib, Head Dept of Public Administration.Dr, Mutalib, was a very famous renowned professor. Similarly Dr G,Ram Reddy was prominent for Politcal Science. Telugu, Sanskrit, English, science ,mathematics, Engineering Departments were very strong, and had very eminent professors. I was reminded of great personalities like Prof.Shivkumar, an eminent English language expert, Scientist Prof, P.M. Bhargava, a recipient of Padma Bhushan, Dr.C.Narayan Reddy, a well known personality in Telugu literature. Dr. Divakarla Venkata Avadhani, also a great scholar in Telugu language and literature was heading the department. Rakesh Sharma, the first Indian, to go into space to the latest being the cricket commentator Harsha Bhogle, are some of the products pf Osmania University.
 Osmania University has made its mark in the world of Arts, culture, and science. The noted feature of this great institution was the maintenance of a beautiful, and sprawling land scape, garden, with lovely Tagore Auditorium. During 1965-70 it was one of the prestigious hubs of knowledge, in the entire world. There used to be a high demand for the products of this great institution in the job market, not only in our country but abroad as well. I will not hesitate to say that Telangana movement and other events did create disturbances which affected the standards a little bit. But unfortunately, what I personally noticed that its huge chunk of lands are under encroachment in many areas. I think there remains a great task ahead to restore its past glory of this great university. I'm hopeful the Govt, and various committees, would strive towards the goal of " make OU great again "